The Back to Education Initiative (BTEI)
The Back to Education Initiative represents an example of one of the target groups of adult guidance. The aim of the Back to Education Initiative is to make education more accessible for those individuals who are educationally disadvantaged and experience particular barriers to participating in education. Within adult guidance, high priority is given to these particular groups.
BTEI groups include:
- People with disabilities;
- Lone parents or others with caring responsibilities which make it difficult to participate in education;
- Adults and early school leavers who left school with little or no formal qualifications or who may have low levels of literacy;
- The long term unemployed or those who are at risk of becoming long term unemployed, particularly those in older age groups;
- Travellers or people who are homeless;
- Disadvantaged men and women, including those who are elderly or isolated in rural areas;
- People from ethnic minorities;
- People for whom English is not their mother tongue and who require literacy and language support.