Delivering Quality Guidance
Adult guidance counsellors work in a range of ways. At the heart of their work is a capacity to respond appropriately to the client's needs. This is informed by the client's unique skills, experience and competencies and how these may be built upon.
Some of the key ways a guidance counsellor may engage effectively with a client include the following:-
- through active listening;
- creating a safe space;
- exploring educational, career and life choices in:-
- one-to-one sessions or
- in small, supportive groups;
- providing opportunities to see the bigger picture;
- identifying unique strengths, experience and potential;
- finding out which courses and opportunities are available;
- developing a CV with the client;
- building interview skills;
- achievement of client goals through action steps;
- encouraging the client to reach their full potential in life and
- sharing of expertise, in relation to career development within a lifelong context.