Ethical Decision Making Good Practice
In order for you and your Service to develop your ethical awareness, you need to make time to develop your "ethical sensitivity". Such, ethical sensitivity involves the ability to see and interpret behaviour and its effect on others.
Here are some tips and good practice around ethical decision making and increasing your ethical sensitivity:-
- being familiar with relevant ethical codes and standards;
- understanding the exact meaning of common terms used in your profession e.g. confidentiality; dual relationships, privacy, etc.;
- making efforts to foresee ethically unclear possibilities before they actually happen;
- being familiar with techniques that may help solve ethical dilemmas;
- examining the legal and organisational requirements in ethical issues;
- enabling colleagues to address ethically difficult incidents as they occur as a way to promote support, shared good practice, and learning for the team as a whole;
- blocking off times in the year as a team, to think through and discuss ethical dilemmas that occurred over the year and make protocols as needed.